Douglas Kirkland's Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
1 each Tomato-Red, sliced ½" thick
1 each Tomato-Yellow, sliced ½’ thick
4 each Grape Tomatoes
4 slices Fresh Mozzarella
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
Basil, fresh, chiffonade
Granulated Garlic, to taste
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh ground Black Pepper, to taste
Tomato/Balsamic Reduction, as needed
1. Arrange tomatoes and cheese on serving plate.
2. Season with garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Drizzle with oil and reduction.
4. Garnish with Basil.
1. Variety of tomatoes can take this from ordinary to
extraordinary. Fresh summer heirlooms are my choice.
2. Wedge tomatoes and mix all ingredients in a bowl for a
nice summer salad, add thin sliced red onions and fresh minced garlic to jazz it up.
1 gallon Balsamic Vinegar-white
3 each Tomatoes- large, very ripe, cut up
Sugar, as needed
1. Place vinegar and tomatoes in a heavy bottomed pot, preferably a braiser
2. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 1-3 hours until it begins to thicken
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
4. Return to low heat and stir in sugar until a desired balance of sweet and sour is achieved.
5. Cool to room temperature
6. Put in a squeeze bottle or drizzle with a spoon