Chris Cognac's Beef Sashimi with Enoki Mushrooms and Spicy Ponzu
Approx 6-8 filet or NY strip steak (as thick as you can get)
½ white or sweet Vidalia onion (frenched)
½ cup enoki mushrooms
1 chopped green onion
1 tsp pink salt (if you can get it)
A few twists of cracked black pepper
Dipping Sauce (all is approximate):
3 oz soy sauce
1 clove sliced garlic
Juice from ½ lemon
1 tsp daikon radish (ground)
1 squirt of red sirachi hot sauce (the one with the rooster on the bottle)
Note: Sauce is pretty hot, leave out radish and/or hot sauce and replace with some chopped onion
1. Season a chilled steak with pepper and pink salt
2. Sear for approx. 30-60 seconds hot cast iron grill or pan (depending on thickness) on each side until browned a bit. Then remove, wrap in plastic and chill.
3. When steak is chilled and firm, remove and slice into thin slice and place on plate over the frenched onion.
4. Season with a pinch of pink salt and arrange enoki mushrooms over dish.
5. Allow for meat to warm a bit and eat with dipping sauce.