Harrisburg - Big Spring FFA Chapter received the most People's Choice votes of the Today's Agriculture Video contest, besting eleven other FFA chapters from across the state with their video of the Creekside Dairy.
FFA chapters from across the state partnered with industry businesses and organizations to create videos about modern agriculture, showcasing the advanced technology that produces food and gets it from farm gate to dinner plate.
FFA members are honing their communications skills and showcasing their talents by telling the story of agriculture through videos, all while preparing to become future leaders in the state's number one industry-agriculture.
Each video explores a different facet of agriculture in Pennsylvania, helping to further explain different components of this year's Today's Agriculture display.
Cumberland V alley FFA with their industry partner, Murphy-Brown LLC received second in the People's Choice voting and Manor FFA came in third with their industry partner Hershey Equipment Co., Inc.
Visitors cast 2,652 People's Choice votes for the five-to-seven minute videos at the Lancaster Farming booth during the 2012 PA Farm Show, and the Lancaster Farming website had 6,500 hits throughout the time the videos were posted.
Dennis Larison, editor of the Lancaster Farming, who sponsored the event, presented each FFA Chapter with a $700 check for their organization.
FFA Chapters with their Industry Partner Videos:
- Hanover Shoe Farms- Fairfield Chapter, Fairfield Area High School, Adams Co.
- Kirby-Agri- Eastern Lebanon County Chapter, Eastern Lebanon County High School, Lebanon Co.
- Hershey Equipment- Manor Chapter, Penn Manor High School, Lancaster Co.
- Mt. Parnell Fisheries- Conococheague Chapter, James Buchanan High School, Franklin Co.
- Monsanto Soybean Association- Manheim Chapter, Manheim Central High School, Lancaster Co.
- Will-Mar-Re Dairy Farms- Derry Chapter, Derry Area High School, Westmoreland Co.
- Heritage Poultry Management- Gifford Pinchot Chapter, Northern High School, York Co.
- GVM, Inc.- Apple City Chapter, Biglerville High School, Adams Co.
- Bauman's Apple Butter- Kutztown Chapter, Kutztown High School, Berks Co.
- Murphy-Brown LLC- Cumberland Valley Chapter, Cumberland Valley High School, Cumberland Co.
- Creekside Dairy- Big Spring Chapter, Big Spring High School, Cumberland Co.
- Denna-Jak Farm and Beardance Farm- Standing Stone Chapter, Huntingdon Area High School, Huntingdon Co.
The Pennsylvania Farm Show is the largest indoor agricultural event in the nation, featuring nearly 6,000 animals, 10,000 competitive exhibits and 300 commercial exhibitors. The show runs Jan. 7-14 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center in Harrisburg. Admission is free and parking is $10. Visit www.farmshow.state.pa.us for details.
For photos, click here.